Thanksgiving to me is Texas, family, food, high school friends, college friends and college football, family movie nights (always “Elf” the night after Thanksgiving), and for the past three years, it's been a break from the hustle and bustle of New York.
I love coming home to over-crowded rooms of family members and boyfriends and girlfriends, the scent of pecan spice candles, a flag in the yard that says “Happy Fall Y’all”, and a pitcher of margaritas waiting in the freezer.
Packing to go home for the holiday typically means casual attire for barely-cool weather. This year it is pleasantly colder than usual, and I have a couple of Thanksgiving dinners to attend. The first will be on Thursday at our house, followed by another celebration on Friday at my boyfriend’s family’s home (at which I will be wearing something with elastic for round two of turkey and dressing).
A few of the items I am lugging from Manhattan:
- Black wool Reiss coat for Thanksgiving dinner on Friday.
- My new maroon obsession, a Loeffler Randall Rider Bag.
- Madewell's "Shimmerweave Tee" dress that I got on major sale. I plan to wear it over Spanx tights, which will be holding in my midsection post-turkey and green bean bundles (if you're lucky, I will post the recipe later this week ;) ).
- Converse high tops for kicking it with the fam.
- Vogue to browse on lazy days by the fireplace.
- J. Crew Chelsea boots that I seldom walk out of the house without these days.
- Goodbye to All That, Writers on Loving and Leaving New York (stay tuned for a future blog post devoted to this topic).
Where are you heading this Thanksgiving? Any fun or wacky traditions in your family?
I am very thankful to be home this year for much-needed Texas downtime.